Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Devil wears a size 4~

I watched a movie last night that most of you are probably familiar with, “The Devil Wears Prada.” I really enjoy that movie, but not for reasons that you might think. Yes, I love to watch the small town girl blossom into a lovely lady, but that is not where I love it. Every time I watch that movie it reminds me of how far my self absorption could really take me and it scares me back into line.

However, last night, as I was watching it, something else struck me, in light of everything that I am trying to search through to find out who God would have me be through Finding My Weigh.

Towards the end of the movie, the main character was very proud of herself for going from a size 6 to a size 4. Her friend was also very proud of her.

Now, I could be blind, but she looked great before her amazing transformation….in a size 6…..and all during that time, she was mocked as being fat….by a woman who was obviously much larger than she was. I know this was just a movie, but it really depicted how we are trained to believe in the lie that healthy is fat and that we are mentally trained to believe that by starving ourselves and fitting into some “mold,” set up by….who?? …is exactly where we are supposed to be.

Ok. I think, and I could be wrong here, that they didn’t break the mold after making me. I am fairly certain that I broke the mold just trying to fit my larger than average self into it and painfully finding out that it just was never meant to be. At 5 feet, 11 inches tall, I am NEVER….EVER…going to be a size 4.

In fact, my life more often reflects the opening scenes of the movie, “Elf,” when Buddy realizes that he is not an elf at all, and they show his giant self trying to fit into all of those tiny elf sized things, more so than the hope that I would ever fit into the fantastic clothes in “The Devil Wears Prada.”

The number 4 is something that only exists for me when someone asks me how many children I have, or how old my youngest child is. In my little world, the devil doesn't wear Prada. If it hadn't been for certain friends in recent years, I wouldn't even know what Prada was (all of you laughing can stop now), and sadly, when confronted with a purse that said "MJ" on the tag, a friend of mine said that it stood for "Micheal Jordan" and everyone else laughed....but I didn't get the joke. In my little world, the devil lives in a doughnut shop and sells me coffee all day long! Prada is not an issue for me, so being a size 4 isn't a goal of mine.

Does this negate my responsibility to me and to my family to ignore my commitment to get healthy?

NO! I’m gunning for a size 12, and could very happily live there for the rest of my life.

It just means that my responsibility lies in making sure that my heart and body are something that honors God. My outward appearance carrying chub is a painful admittance that somewhere deep inside of me, something is out of order, and my lack of control is showing all over my body. Finding my weigh is allowing God to have control over that area.

The devil very well may wear Prada, but my Jesus wears Robes of Majesty…that never go out of style.

Thank goodness. I look much better in Robes, and they are way more comfortable.

Robes of Majesty…that’s God’s best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment